Founded: 1889 (among the first 15 women’s colleges founded in the United States)
Elizabeth A. Fleming, Ph.D.
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Phone: (864) 596-9000
or (800) 766-1125
Converse College is committed to developing adaptable leaders who are equipped with the creativity, character, knowledge and perspective to transform the world around them.
Founded upon the conviction that "the well-being of any country depends much upon the culture of her women" and compelled by the vision to “enable students to see clearly, decide wisely and act justly,” Converse has been a pioneer in women’s education for more than a century. Throughout her history, the Spartanburg, S.C. college has offered a liberal arts education within a residential environment. Today, innovative programs for graduate and advanced study complement the undergraduate program.
Students develop their unique voices through our challenging liberal arts curriculum, century-old honor tradition, and Daniels Center for Leadership and Service. Our close-knit residential community cultivates a spirit of sisterhood and enterprise among women diverse in backgrounds and interests. Across the board – from art and design to science, business, music and education – professors actively mentor and challenge students through spirited discussions inside and outside of the classroom. The Nisbet Honors Program, Petrie School of Music, independent and collaborative research opportunities, leading national debate teams, study abroad and internship programs, and a 9:1 student/faculty ratio differentiate the Converse learning community.
Converse competes in NCAA Division II athletics – the highest level of any women’s college, is the only women’s college on the All-Steinway School roster, and is consistently top-ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
- Ranked: #4 in the South in U.S.News & World Report’s list of “Great Schools, Great Prices”
- Character: Private, residential women’s undergraduate college with co-ed graduate programs
- Students: 1,938 total enrollment (773 undergraduate and 1,165 graduate); 15 states and 14 countries represented;
- approximately 20% minority enrollment
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 9:1 (7:1 in the Petrie School of Music) among the best in the nation, ensures personal attention and mentoring from professors, 89% of whom hold the highest degree attainable in their fields
- Academic Profile: Over 90% of entering students have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; middle 50% SAT range: 1000-1200; middle 50% ACT range: 20-26
- Hands-on Learning: 70% of graduating seniors complete an internship and nearly half are involved in independent research or creative projects; the Daniels Center for Leadership & Service links leadership opportunities with service learning on and off campus
- Study Abroad: Faculty-led study/travel courses from Japan to France and study abroad programs on every continent
- except Antarctica, with scholarships available through the Chapman Study Abroad Endowment
- Athletics: NCAA Division II athletics programs in basketball, cross country, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, tennis and
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: More than 90% of students receive some form of financial aid or scholarships with an average award of $18,500
Degrees and Majors
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Bachelor of Music
Bachelor of Science
Business Administration (concentrations in economics, finance, human resources management, international business,
Creative and Professional Writing
Education (comprehensive special education, deaf and hard of hearing/interpreting, early childhood, educable mental disabilities, elementary, learning disabilities)
Engineering (dual degree program offered in partnership with Clemson University)
English (concentrations in English and creative writing)
Individualized Major (self-designed)
Performance (voice, piano, wind instruments and strings)
Career and Pre-Professional Programs
Graduate Degree Programs
Master of Arts in Teaching
Master of Education
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
Master of Liberal Arts
Master of Marriage & Family Therapy
Master of Music